Tuesday, June 22, 2010

summer musing

It's summer! I'm so relieved. The plan is to really live it up because I don't have a job and I'm soon to be licensed. Plus I'm going to Haiti for 2ish weeks and then have a missions week at the church when I get home. But anyways here's what I've been thinking about recently:

John 1:12-13 "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God - children born not of natural decent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God." So that means that I'm a child of God because he chose me, not because I chose him.. which doesn't really make all that much sense to me, because I thought it had to be a personal choice to turn your life over to Christ. But then I guess you could get into the whole predestination/free-will discussion (which I think both are right in some weird way we can't even grasp).

I've also been thinking whether it's selfish or selfless to go to Haiti like I am. Would it benefit them more if I sent in all the money it's costing to send me there? (not that I could because AIM would take it). That would only meet a physical need, yes, but God is on the move like crazy in Haiti and tons of people are turning to Christ like never before. Am I really needed there?

1 comment:

  1. How ironic is the idea of need and being needed. Are we indeed at all needed by an infinite and all-powerful God, who necessarily goes out of His way to sustain us and extend an invitation to us? Would He not have been better off had He never created us in the first place, existing in perfectly satisfying and infinitely loving community within Himself?

    But, oh how Haiti does need you! Haiti needs you to serve. Haiti needs your hugs. Haiti needs your contagious laugh. But maybe more than that, Haiti needs you to see. Haiti needs you to absorb. Haiti needs you to be moved. Haiti needs you to carry their story back to in-grown Bucks County. Haiti needs you to advocate.

    Your trip will not be wasted, I'm sure of that. And you will not be the sole beneficiary. It's only a matter of time until your story and the stories you'll bring back from Haiti will intersect with and forever impact the trajectory of my own and others you know.

    Know that we're praying you through this trip!

    ReplyDelete